More on Formats
ePUB2 or ePUB3?
All conversions conform to the ePUB3 standard, and can be validated by the ePUB checker found at http://validator.idpf.org/
This is the most prevalent ePUB format. It gives you an ebook legible on all sizes and types of screens—from the small cell phone screen to a large desktop reader. The reflowable format does not support:
- Full-bleed images
- Text placed over images
- Multiple columns of text (text in reflowable ebooks must be in full-width paragraphs)
Fixed Layout ePUB
These are HTML-based eBook files that are usually designed to match the layout of a print book. They work best for textbooks, technical or scholarly works, illustrated children's books, coffee-table books, comic books, comic strips, and magazine-style layouts. Features:
- More control over page layout because they are coded to each specific device.
- Images can spread across the entire page
- The ebook text can be placed over images
- Text can be arranged in multiple columns within a page
This option contains the following navigational tools:
- Full bidirectional hyperlinks between Tables of Contents and Headings
- All index page references are hyperlinked to their origins
- All footnote and endnote numbers are hyperlinked to their targets
- All external urls are active
This format should be chosen for any title with an index, and indeed for any non-fiction title. As more and more users use online or portable books, they will need the navigation tools that these links provide.